Thursday, May 27, 2010

This is Happening


I find myself becoming a bigger and bigger fan of electronic music. With Crystal Castles newest (great) album and now LCD Soundsystem, I think it safe to declare myself a fan of the genre.

"The Is Happening" The new jaun from LCD Soundsystem blends absurdity with unrivaled timing and skill to create one of the most confusing mixes of aural assault I've experienced in months. Track one, "Dance Yourself Clean" is a perfect example of the phenomena. The song starts with humorous, almost silly, lyrics told in a lazy drawl only to give way to obnoxiously awesome synth face melting later in the song.

The bipolarity of the album creates, rather than anger, a sense of frenetic, carefree, happiness. "Drunk Girls", for example, the second track and first single is a jaunty romp that gives the feeling that LCD Soundsystem is playing at party that you are attending (perhaps at my house... my house). Gang vocals and unflappably upbeat, the song hides deep and somber lyrics beneath.

My personal favourite track on the album, "I Can Change", exhibits the lyrical (and mostly thematic) depth that I didn't expect from the album in a really easy to swallow and comprehend candy-coated package. The mournful and longing lyrics are delivered beautifully. The song, to me, is a beautiful summary of modern romance and its split personality.

I also feel I would be remiss if I didn't mention another opus off the album "Pow Pow". I think Mr. Murphy has either been listening to too much Talking Heads or just hanging out with David Byrn too much. It is a 8 minute spoken word gem riddled with things than remind me unmistakably of the state of the world 10 years before my birth.

The album, not only ensured my love of the electronic genre, but reinvigorated my appreciation for wordplay. I would most definitely recommend a DL asap.

~JM

No comments: