Sunday, September 9, 2007

Palahniuk and Me

I have recently discovered an author who engrosses me fully in any work I read. His name is Chuck Palanhniuk. He is the author of such books as Lullaby, Invisible Monsters, Rant, Survivor, Choke; and most popularly, Fight Club.

Like most people, when I was told that he wrote Fight Club I immediately responded, "There was a book?!". The next day I visited the book store and picked up fight club (Choke and Survivor too). The next day I had finished Fight Club and had anxiously started on the second book. The books keep me interested totally, for better or for worse.

Having completed 2 Palahniuk books and started another, I think it is safe to say that all of his books feature a disturbing satire on modern life. I have read criticisms of his works that mention that Palahniuk is purely a shock author, but I find that hard to agree with. Despite the gratuitous nature of his writings, Palahniuk always delivers a hard-hitting interpretation of society and its worst aspects.

Fight Club offers a glaring look at the materialism of society. Entrants of Fight Club are described as "a generation raised by women" who need a way to express their manliness. They engage in fights with each other to feel alive and to break the monotony of everyday life. As with the fight clubs in the story, the popularity of this work has become national. Most people are at least somewhat familiar with the story through the hit movie for good reason. It was very good. Like the book, the movie fails to disappoint and is a solid, entertaining, 2 hours with one of the best plot twists ever.

The second work I read is definitely rated R for sheer frequency of sex in the book. Choke follows the misadventures of a pitiable sexaholic who works at a Williamsburg-esque colonial theme park. He attends sexaholics anonymous every week, not to attend meetings, but to have some fun with other addicts in the bathroom. With my attempts to spare the reader of some gross images, I can not really explain the graphic and disgusting nature of these 'scenes' in the book.

Apart from the unsettling sex, Choke delivers a deep look into the life of a hopeless man who refuses to accept his lack of control. Despite his base encounters and constant wondering of "What would Jesus NOT do?", the main character comes off as a hopeless protagonist. His skewed childhood and lack of guidance comes off, not as an excuse, but as an ample reason for the ruin of his moral compass.

As I start another Palahniuk book, Survivor, I can see that it is still superfluously nauseating, but satisfying deep. I can only hope that the rest Palahniuk's books are exciting and philosophical.

Until next time, Live long and Prosper _\\//
~Mike

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good summary, Doll... Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Very well summarized.