Friday, May 30, 2008

Drop Box


What a cool program. I was just shown Dropbox by a friend (Chris of Wtair) and I must say that it is one of the coolest pieces of software I have ever seen. Essentially it is a glorified HTTP server, but it works much more smoothly than any other I have seen.

After downloading the program a folder appears on your desktop, but it isn't just any folder. This folder is a window to another world (or just the internet...)! Any file you put in the folder can be accessed from your personal page online, but apart from just uploading the file you can share the file.

Though it may not sound that impressive, using this program makes collaborating with someone much easier through the internet. Whenever I finish a small part of a collaborative project, I just toss it into the Dropbox folder and within seconds Chris (the other part of the project) can access it in the public folder on his desktop just as I can. Also pretty cool about Dropbox is that it works on both Windows and Macs (breaking all kinds of barriers!).

Currently this program is in beta stages with a folder size limit of just over 2 gigs. I assume once the project goes live it will cost money, but even at this early stage it seems worth lots.

~Mike


_\\//

No comments: