Sunday, May 4, 2008

Narrow Stairs


I have never listened to Death Cab For Cutie before, and honestly the seemingly silly name was a deterring factor. I was recently handed a copy of their new album "Narrow Stairs" and I must say that I am impressed.

The album is very catchy and contains the kinds of songs that get stuck in your head all day. The album, as described by lead singer Ben Gibbard, is "creepy", "weird", and "more dissonant [than previous albums]". After listening extensively to the album I can confirm these statements, but also qualify them. It is the good weird and abrasive.

On first listening tracks like the introductory Bixby Canyon Bridge, the single I Will Possess Your Heart, and Grapevine Fires caught my attention. The slow and deliberate euphony of the premier track is mesmerizing. The calm melody gives way to intriguing lyrics and a powerful guitar riff.

The miasmatic bass and piano of the second track's extensive opening is equally enthralling. It remains calm and hypnotizing while exuding strong emotion and power. As long as the intro is (about 4 minutes) I never get bored listening to the entire 8 minute track. The somewhat creepy lyrics of the song are delivered flawlessly by Gibbard's unique voice and are framed by the precise drumwork of Jason McGerr.

The CD is full of memorable moments and endearing quirks. Gibbard was definitely accurate in his description of a slightly "creepy" and dissonant" album, but the idiosyncrasies work wholly in its favor. Narrow Stairs is an indisputable addition to my list of favourite albums. And as an added plus, the album art is absolutely fantastic. I recomend the album with confidence.

~Mike



_\\//

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

narrow stairs is death cab for cutie trying to be radiohead

honestly, I think that Transatlanticism might be the only good death cab