Tuesday, November 20, 2007

First Impressions: Mass Effect

I have played Mass Effect for a couple hours now and feel I am qualified to make some preliminary opinions. Let me first say that I had unreasonably high expectations of this game (curbed only by the fantastic gentlemen at Penny Arcade), and this game has almost met them.

The blending of genres in Mass Effect is pretty solid. The tactical shooter combat fits well with the RPG elements of leveling up and acquiring new skills (similar to my opinions of Hellgate). I am surprised in that the combat is a real challenge. From watching videos, I expected the fighting to be easy and quick. My impression of the fighting is a tactical, pulse-pounding experience.

The gameplay is broken up between missions, which include fighting and the like, and time spent in cities. The city sections can drag a bit and become boring (especially due to the outrageously long elevator rides), though learning the back story of the galaxy and races is extremely intriguing. If you don't mind a break in the mindless fighting to learn a bit of sci-fi, then you shouldn't mind these sections. However if you are simply in it for the Shooter elements (and have no interest in the rich sci-fi story), the city portions of the game could be a deal breaker.

Another problem I have with the game is the terrible texture pop-in. It doesn't really detract from the game too much, but it is a glaring error in an otherwise-polished game. In almost all cut-scenes the models looks terribly textured for a second in which new textures cover it, and then a third layer covers the others to give the fantastic look of most environments. The one second problem makes me think that the revered Bioware rushed Mass Effect to shelves.

I will write a more in depth update later once I have some more game experience. From what I have seen so far, the game promises to be an exciting RPG with some fast-paced combat and an awesome story.

Until Next Time,
~Mike

_\\//

No comments: